Georgian Court University
When New Jersey’s Georgian Court University was ready to upgrade its network infrastructure, it naturally turned to Systems Connect. “We had been working with them since 2004,” says Harry Montalto, president of Systems Connect. But replacing an obsolete, campuswide network was a much more ambitious project than wiring residence halls or installing wireless access points.
“The new network connects 25 buildings, integrates the wireless LAN, and provides the security and management capabilities that were lacking in the previous network,” says Montalto. “We estimated that installation, migration, and testing would take four months.” Managing cash flow for that period was the only problem. Under a conventional financing arrangement, the university would have had to start paying interest charges as soon as the equipment was delivered—but long before its network was available. Fortunately, Cisco Capital™ offered another option.
With help from Cisco® account manager Clint Hahn and Cisco Capital leasing account manager Dick Miller, a financing arrangement was made that met everyone’s needs. “Cisco Capital’s 0 Percent Progress Payments Program allowed the customer to make no payments and incur no interest for four months,” says Montalto. “That gave the university interest-free time to let us deploy this upgrade.” Meanwhile, Cisco Capital also made payments to Systems Connect’s distributor to limit the partner’s out-of-pocket costs and free up their credit line. “The university also lengthened their maintenance contract because they got a multiyear discount on SMARTnet at 0 percent.”
For Montalto, the advantage was a larger sale—and a new resource. “This was a very large deal, and Cisco Capital paid my distributors directly,” he says. “Now that I know how flexible Cisco Capital is, I’ll make it my first stop for financing.”
- Upgrade campuswide infrastructure
- Gain network security and management capabilities
- Procure and implement Cisco network technology, including a core switch and very robust edge switches, multiple firewalls, LAN management, and redundant security
- Upgrade existing Cisco wireless technology
- Manage cash flow with Progress Payments. By taking advantage of Cisco Capital’s 0 Percent Progress Payments Program, the customer didn’t have to make any payments or incur any interest for four months, while the partner received regular payments from Cisco Capital.
- Lower costs and lock in prices. By purchasing multiple years of SMARTnet® at once, the customer can pay over time while locking in the first-year price for the duration of the agreement.